Tip 173: February 2023 – Creating a Language Center
Website Educational Tip for Language and Literacy Development
Objectives of a Language Center:
Language centers have three main functions.
1. They provide looking and listening activities for young children.
2. They give children an area for hands-on experiences with communication
3. They provide a place to store materials easily accessible to young
Infants: Labeling Objects
Hearing language used constantly and meaningfully during a child’s routine
Toddlers: Feedback about Stories
Understanding of stories, these may be shared through oral storytelling or
1. Encouraging Participation: Ask the children for feedback about the story
2. Questions and Answers: An example might be “What did Little Red Riding
3. Keeping children focused on the story: Let the children ask each other
Some examples might be, “What part of the story did you like best?” “What
Preschoolers: Word Families
Boost phonological awareness by helping children create:
1. Devise games that encourage older children to sort words into word
2. Tell what is left when one of the segments is removed from a word such
3. Find all the things in this picture that begin with the letter “t.”
4. Word walls which emphasize common sounds they hear.